Trentham Hall Demolition
There is a long history of construction, redesigning and demolition of Trentham Hall, starting in 1086, leading up to 1912 when demolition began on the decaying hall.
The river became so polluted from the booming industrial activity up-stream that the Estate became undesirable and it began to decline. The Trent was described as ‘a foul slimy sewer, brim-full of the impurities of every dirty crowded town that hugs its banks’.
When the occupants of Trentham Hall decided to move away, anything that could be sold off to raise funds was – from Trentham’s most prized sculptures, windows and doors, and the contents of the Hall. After Trentham Hall was demolished the highest section of the Hall ‘Trentham’s Tower’ was moved and rebuilt in Sandon Park where it still stands today. Trentham’s Tower was also designed by Sir Charles Barry with urns, Corinthian columns and arches very similar to the Loggia that which remains today.
Image from Staffordshire Archives and Heritage www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk